Sunday, March 15, 2015

Prodigal Son compared with the Allegory of the Pearl, by David Werden


   
    In a new look at the parable of the Prodigal Son, I would like to explore another theme apart from repentance, that is almost taken for granted in the story, As with most of Jesus’s parables an analogy is used to show our relationship with God. In this parable a father representing Heavenly Father has a son that represents all of mankind, is used to show how coming to earth is like the boy that leaves home and loses his inheritance. In leading up to this parable, Jesus tells us how much the heavens rejoice over one soul who is lost, then found, demonstrated in the story by the Father waiting for his returning son with the ring and robe that represent his former glory.   Both Jewish and Christian accounts talk about a time before we came to earth.[1] In the Acts of Thomas[2], a very similar story is told in The Pearl  showing how the theme of coming to earth as a boy leaving home[3]  was understood by his listeners.

     In the Pearl there is also a youth ready for his journey to come to earth to prove himself, a robe representing his pre-existent glory is removed, in other places it is couples with a loss of memory of his former state, a veil of forgetfulness[4] is imposed so the test will be complete before he comes to earth to look for his pearl of great price.[5]

Below is a comparison of the two stories to show the similarities. (The Pearl: starting in verse 20, is taken from, Hennecke-Schneemelcher, New Testament Apocrypha vol 2 pp.498-503) Luke is taken from the King James.

 

    Luke ch. 15                                                                             Pearl

 11. And he said, A certain man had two sons:                     1-2: In my first primeval childhood I was nurtured in                         12. And the younger of them said to his Father,                          the royal house of my Father with loving care… [6]

    Father, give me the portion of goods that falleth              11. And they made a Covenant with me, and wrote in my

   to me. And he divided unto them his living.                             heart lest I go astray.                                        

13. And not many Days after the younger son                      20 I went down into Egypt                                     

     Gathered all together and took his journey into              32. And they dealt with me treacherously.

    a far country, and there wasted his substance                       and gave me to eat of their food.

   with riotous living.                                                             33. And I forgot that I was a kings son and served their

14.And when he had spent all, there arose a might                    king.

   Famine in that land; and he began to be in want.              35. And because of the heaviness of their [food]

16. And he would fain have filled his belly with the                  I fell into a deep sleep.

    Husks that the swine did eat: and no man gave                 36. [And all this] that befell me.

   unto him.                                                                                  My parents observed and were grieved for me

17. And when he came to himself, he said, How many           40. And they wrote to me a letter. 

     hired servant of my father’s have bread enough               43. [Awake] and rise up from thy sleep,…

   and to spare, and I perish with Hunger!                            44. Remember that thou art a son of kings.

18. I will arise and go to my father, and will say unto            46. Remember thy splendid robe.

     Him, Father, I have sinned against heaven, and               47. That thou mayest put them on…

    before thee,                                                                          48. And thou with thy brother, our crown prince,

19. And am no more worthy to be called thy son:                       [be heir] in our kingdom.

    make me as one of thy hired servants.                                 56. I remembered that I was a son of kings…

20. And he arose, and came to his father.                               65. As with its voice it had awakened [me]…

     But when he was yet a great way off, his father                 68. And [drawing] me with its love.

    saw him, and had compassion, and ran, and                      72. And my splendid robe which I had taken off…

   fell on his neck, and kissed him.                                           98. I clothed myself with it…

21. And the son said unto him, Father, I have                         99. I bowed my head and worshipped

    Sinned against heaven, and in thy sight, and                            the splendor of the father [who] had sent

   am no more worthy to be called thy son.                                    [the robe] to me.

22. But the father said to his servants, Bring                         102. For he rejoiced over me and received me,

     forth the best robe, and put it on him; and                                And I was him in his kingdom.

    put a ring on his hand, and  shoes on his feet:                   103. And with sound [of the organ]

23. And bring hither the fatted calf, and kill it,                              All his servants praise him.

     And let us eat, and be merry:                     

                                                            

 

 




[1] Jeremiah 1:5; Job 38:7; Eccl.12:7; John 3:13; Heb12:9; Freedman and Simon, Midrash Rabbah Vol.1:59 (Gen.R. 8:7);  R.H. Charles, Apocrypha and Pseudepigrapha, Vol.2:444 fn.5; James Hastings, Encyclopedia of Religion and Ethics Vol.10 pp.235-240; Babylonian Talmud, Yebamoth 62a (see end of tractate for "Guf" where souls are kept before coming to earth); Hamerton-Kelly, Pre-Existence, Wisdom & The Son of Man; Terryl L.Givens, When Souls Had Wings, Oxford; Joseph F. McConkie in Apocryphal Writings and the Latter-day Saints ed.C.Wilfred Giggs
[2] Edgar Hennecke and Wilhelm Schneemelcher, trans. R. McL Wilson,  New Testament Apocrypha vol 2 pp.498-503
[3] Acts 17:28-29; Romans 8:16-18 (Talking about us being sons of God)
[4] Barnstone, The Other Bible,pp.28; the Apocryphon of John (II, 1) 22:20-30; 23:1-10, in James Robinson, The Nag Hammadi Library, pp.111 (NHL)
[5] Midrash Tanchuma, Shemos II, Pekudei 3 by Rabbi Avraham Davis, pp.404-405, 409-413; The account is also in Barnstone, The Other Bible,pp.26-28 and Ginzberg. Legends of the Jews vol.1. In the six-day of creation; Pistis Sophia, by Mead pp.278  
[6] Verse one is taken from Hugh Nibley, Appendix III in Message of the Joseph Smith Papyri: Egyptian Endowment, pp.267-272

No comments:

Post a Comment